Get Ready for'Get Woke and Vote' with Gus Pedrotty on April 2, 2018.
Dear Nob Hill Indivisibles,
First off, send out a silent kudos to Indivisible Mt. Lebanon and Progress 18 PA in Pennsylvania! Dem Conor Lamb won the special election on Tuesday with just 627 votes in a district that went for Trump by 19 points in 2016. And IndivisiVolunteers helped make a difference: 1,556 national volunteers completed 2,917 text-banking shifts during the last two weeks of the election. All together, they sent 108,828 texts to voters in the district!
All more evidence how getting out the vote is KEY! Thanks to all for your help in registering and encouraging voters!
Even though elections are rapidly approaching, our MoCs still need to hear from us on legislation moving through Congress. Here’s how you can make a difference this week on Capitol Hill:
1. End Trump’s illegal war in Yemen: support S.J. Res. 54. This bipartisan resolution is a rare opportunity for Congress to take back its constitutional war making authority, and declare Trump’s war in Yemen unauthorized. The Senate will vote Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Here’s a call script if you need one.
2. There is still time to stop Congress from increasing funding for Trump’s deportation force. The government runs out of money on March 23, but this time they’ll pass an “omnibus” spending bill that will go through September (instead of a short-term “continuing resolution,” like the kind they’ve been passing for months). Negotiations are nearly done, but one remaining issue is the funding level for immigration enforcement activities. Call Sen Heinrich and Udall and tell to oppose more funding for Trump’s deportation machine. Here’s a call script.
3. Also keep after them on preventing gun violence! Our 4 MFOL Scholarship students will be meeting Sen Heinrich this Friday, 23, thank him for welcoming them and encourage him to make sure America has their backs in the fight against gun violence. If you’d like to see a history of gun control legislation in the US, click here.
4. Lastly, Sen. Heinrich is co-sponsoring The America's College Promise Act which would help New Mexico's estimated 74,000 community college students pay for their education without acquiring student debt. Under this legislation, a full-time community college student in New Mexico could save an average of $1,760 in tuition each year. If all states participated, an estimated 9 million students could benefit nationally. Call and thank him, and then call Sen Udall and ask him to vote YES!
Recess will kick off on March 24 (which also happens to be the March for Our Lives!) and ends on April 8. So be sure to read Indivisible’s recess toolkit to get informed on what we need to know!
Other news to know:
Trump worked with outside conservatives to purge the State Department. Documents obtained by Reps. Elijah Cummings and Eliot Engel indicate that the White House and State Department worked together with outside conservatives like Newt Gingrich to drive career civil service officials out of the government. This ideological purge has contributed to our diplomatic corps being drained of the expertise it needs to manage the Trump Threat Level.
The Iran Deal is in trouble. Trump’s new Secretary of State choice, Mike Pompeo, is a known war hawk and opponent of diplomacy with Iran. In some ways he make bring more structure and moral to the State Dept, but he also is a Trump surrogate…keep an eye on things! By the way, I recently watched two great episodes on Frontline re the relationship between Iran and Saudi Arabi, and the US’ relationship with both, highly recommend them: Episode 1 and Episode 2
Trump’s pick to head the CIA, Gina Haspel. Haspel ran the CIA’s “black site” in Thailand, where detainees were secretly held and tortured. She also helped destroy the video evidence. Pres. Trump made sure to brag that Haspel was the first woman chosen to lead the CIA, and some of his staff amplified the point. But considering Haspel’s dark past, it’s not at all clear that her elevation would be anything like a win for women.
1. The Democratic Party of New Mexico has completed its 2018 Platform, to read a copy click here!
2. Stand with Our Lands - Environment New Mexico
Environment NM is working to protect our public lands. Instead of increasing protection for more of these special places, the current administration is putting our natural treasures under even more pressure. With the recent announcement to reduce the size of two of our monuments in Utah, opening up over 2 million acres to oil drilling, uranium mining, and other destructive activities -- we can't have this in New Mexico. (With us on this issue? Please sign their petition: https://goo.gl/forms/aFvWMf4IjfxfOTpL2)
If you would like to get involved or hear more about EnvironNM, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Sun., March 18 @ 3:00 – 5:00 pm: Donald Trump and the Jacksonian Tradition in Foreign Affairs, a lecture at the UNM Continuing Education Conference Center. $26 for non-members, $16 members. Tickets available on-line or at the door, http://www.abqinternational.org/
4. Wed., March 21 @ 5:30 - 7 p.m: Voter registration training.
Lomas & Tramway Library, 908 Eastridge Dr NE, 87123, (505) 291-6295
5. Sat., March 31 @ 3pm: Several books have been written about the resistance to the Trump Administration, one includes essays from three Albuquerque women, Jennie Lusk, Rebecca Roth and Alice Thieman in the book, We Rise to Resist: Voices from a New Era in Women’s Political Action (www.werisetoresist.com). These 3 women are among 36 contributors from across the US. Please join them for a book signing at Bookworks, 4022 Rio Grande Blvd NW
6. Also on Sat., March 31 @ 3-5pm: New Mexico Working Families invites you to join them for an awareness raising event at the Sawmill Lofts 1801 Bellamah Ave NW 87104. For more info go to http://workingfamilies.org/states/new-mexico/
7. April 3 @ 6:30 pm: The Danger to our Groundwater, Hydraulic Fracking in the Albuquerque Basin. A presentation sponsored by NM Climate Action. Vincent E. Griego Council Chambers, basement level of the Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Government Center, 1 Civic Plaza NW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102.
Monday meeting’s speaker will be Damian Lara, candidate doe Congress District 1.
Keep up the momentum, the steamroller is rollin’,
Melora and the INH Steering Committee
If you would like to be removed from this list, please send return mail with “unsubscribe” in the subject.