Hello Nob Hill Indivisibles,
Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. Arthur Golden (American Author)
And what are we? Indivisible!!
So much to confront.
So overwhelming the grief.
So immense the challenge.
But we CAN overcome if we don’t give in to it all.
We’ve 451 days until November 2020, let’s get to work!
For those of you who would like to give to the Dayton and El Paso communities, here are two reliable sites, both vetted and endorsed by the city mayors: https://pdnfoundation.org/ and https://daytonfoundation.org/
And for some inspiration that we are on making change, our very own Deb Haaland spoke on the Nations Next Left podcast last week, listen here.
Also, as if you need more fuel for the fire, check out Rachel Maddow’s investigation into Trump and McConnell’s links to Russia, click here.
1. The Santa Fe National Forest and Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River are just two of the many places in New Mexico that have benefited from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). Each year, $900 million should go into LWCF, but only once (in 2001) has Congress given LWCF its full funding. In recent years, the program has received about half of that and the Trump administration's latest budget proposal all but zeroes it out…even tries to pull back $23 million that was already appropriated for it. Call Gov Lujan-Grisham and tell her to stand up for conservation in New Mexico, for her coordinates, click here.
2. What’s happening with those DINOs?
Thank to our INH members who attended Retake Our Democracy‘s (ROD) strategy meeting regarding ousting our State Senate DINOs. Per notes from Bruce Roach, “there were at least thirty in attendance, with twelve or so new folks (including our five from INH). The organization is still in an early formative stage but has four action groups that anyone from INH can support:
i. Outreach and Organize - dedicated to ousting a minimum of 6 of the 8 incumbent NM Senate DINOs.
· Step 1: by SEPT. 21st, contact the 300 individuals that have expressed interest in working with ROD that live in the targeted Districts (4, 5 , 6, 8, 28, 30, 35, 38). Determine local leaders and major issues. Recruit a team of local residents as coordinators for ROD activities. # 1 priority is Mary Kay Papen; #2 is John Arthur Smith
· Step 2: up to early JUNE 2020, prepare for Democratic Party primary - support qualified challenger candidates; intensive VoteBuilder based phone, email and writing campaign to educate target District voters and GOTV
· Step 3: through to NOV 2020 General Election, for Districts that have flipped the DINO incumbent, continue GOTV effort
ii. Media and Marketing - creation of standardized messaging; writing and social media workshops; talking points; white papers; Press Releases; blogs; letter writing; scripts; etc.
iii. Climate Change Action - working to educate and communicate that this is a non-partisan, existential crisis. They are coordinating very closely with Earth Care and YUCCA for the FRI, SEPT. 20th Climate Action General Strike. There will be an act of Civil Disobedience at the Roundhouse from 11:30A TO 1:30P on SEPT. 20th. A training session for this event will be held for the Earth Care Climate Rally in the NMDP office at 1420 Cerrillos Rd., SF 87505 this SAT., AUG 10th starting at 12:30P.
iv. Research - conduct research activities (mostly internet based) on pending, shelved, passed and failed legislative bills; assist the three
NEXT ROD Meeting: TUES. SEP. 3rd @ 6:30P at NMDP building in SF.
3. For those of you who heard NM Supreme Court Justices Thomson and Bacon speak, they send their sincere thanks for meeting with “such an engaged and thoughtful group”. They’d like your feedback on how they can continue to improve their presentation. “We want people to be aware of the importance of the judiciary but were advised our presentation last week might have been too technical. Any thoughts you or your members have are welcome”. Please send to email@example.com, we’ll forward it for you!
Keep yourself in-the-know…
- Retake Our Democracy blog is an excellent source for what’s going in in NM politics, to read it click here.
- Follow the BernCo Democratic Party actions and events, click here to read the latest Li’l Blue.
1. Enough is Enough. The March for our Lives kids are demanding the Dem presidential candidates have a plan for gun safety legislation. They are co-hosting a first presidential forum on gun violence with Giffords. Tweet at your favorite candidates and ask them to make a plan to save lives and attend this forum. Here’s David Hogg’s tweet for you to retweet.
Then tell #MoscowMitch McConnell and the rest of his NRA-funded colleagues to bring S. 42, the background check bill, to a vote. Email McConnell here. And Tweet him @senatemajldr to demand #BackgroundChecksNow
Move-on is putting up billboards in central, high-traffic locations in McConnell’s home state that will highlight his role in America's gun violence epidemic. If you’d like to donate to the cause, click here.
2. Use your Power of the Purse!
News, boycott ‘em!! Once you’ve done that, write them and tell them you’re boycotting and why!
3. Trump is pushing for his NAFTA 2.0 to be one of the early votes your representative casts after the August recess. Contact our representatives now to make your opposition to this climate-denying trade deal clear! To call, click here. You can also send an emails via the Sierra Club, click here.
4. If a new rule by Trump's industry-friendly EPA stays in effect, the public's ability to shine a light on the administration's backdoor dealings with Big Oil and polluters could remain in the dark. Climate deniers and industry insiders packed into the EPA are fighting to keep public records secret in order to gut environmental protections and enrich the industries that are destroying communities and exacerbating the climate crisis. New bipartisan legislation in the Senate called the Open and Responsive Government Act of 2019, S. 2220, would safeguard Freedom of Information Act requests and ensure the public’s right to information. We must build public support for this legislation to protect our right to know and expose the corruption in the Trump administration. Tell our Senators to support this Act now. For their coordinates, click here.
First Tuesday of every month, 12 noon: Resist Tyranny Tuesdays. Sponsored by
Moveon.Org and Indivisible, Simms Building at 400 Gold Ave.
Every Saturday, 12 noon: “Vigil for the Border Children” with the Medicine Drum Circle. Federal Courthouse Plaza, 3rd & Lomas, contact Lisa Lucero at 505-417-470410
Sat, Aug 10, 12:00 – 4:00 pm: Young Democrats of NM State Convention. Election of new YDNM 2019-2021 officers, speakers, and mix & mingle with young democrats. Any registered democrat under 35(ish) in NM is invited to join and get involved! Jaramillo Wine Tasting Room, 114 Becker Ave., Belen 87002.
Also, Aug 10, 12:30 – 2:30 pm: VoteBuilder and MiniVAN 101 training.Hosted by West Side Democrats, Unser Public Library, 8081 Central Ave. NW. Bring your laptop for online training with Cheryl Harris. RSVP: Ellen @ 505-331-7356 (text or call)
Sun, Aug 11, 4-6pm: Peace Concert/Open Mic. Proceeds go to benefit Asylum Seekers Legal Aid thru Fronterizo Fianza Fund. ABQ Peace & Justice Center, 202 Harvard Dr SE, 87106
Tues, Aug 13, 3:30 – 5:30 pm: NM WFP Live Q&A Watch Party featuring Elizabeth Warren! Nexus Brewery. 4730 Pan American Fwy NE 87109. To register, click here.
Also, Aug 13, 6:00 –7:30 pm: Town Hall with Congresswoman Deb Halaand Moriarty Civic Center, Broadway Ave S, Moriarty, New Mexico 87035
Aug 15, 5:30 – 7:30 pm: NM WFP Live Q&A Watch Party featuring Julián Castro! Tractor Brewing- Wells Park, 1800 4th St NW, 87102.
Sat, Aug 17, 10:00 am–2:00 pm: Go Green with Deb! Westside Community Center 1250 Isleta Boulevard Southwest 87105
Also, 10:00am: Moms Demand Action - Demand Gun Sense Bilingual Senate Recess Rally. North Domingo Baca Park, 7521 CARMEL Ave NE
87113 sign up here.
And lastly, Aug 17, 5:00 – 6:30 pm: NM WFP Live Q&A Watch Party featuring Bernie Sanders. O'Niells Pub, 4310 Central Ave SE 87108
Mon, Aug 19, 6 – 7 pm: Maya K. van Rossum, Author of The Green Amendment, Securing Our Right to a Healthy Environment. INH meeting speaker, O’Niells Pub on Central at Washington.
Tues, Aug 20, 5:30 - 7:00 pm: Nasty Women NM August 2019 meeting. Kei & Molly Textiles, 4400 Silver SE 87108
Wed, Aug 21, noon-1:00pm: Brown Bag Lunch with Commissioner Maggie Hart Stebbins. Speakers in will be Ralph Fernandez, Chief of Corrections-MDC, and Pamela Acosta, Coordinator-Resource Reentry Center. McKinley Community Center, 3401 Monroe NE.
Thurs, Aug 22, 11 am–4 pm: Veteran and Military Family Outreach Community Day. American Military Family Museum, 546B, Highway 333 (Rte 66), Tijeras, NM 87059
Also Aug 22, 6 – 8 pm: How will Climate Change affect New Mexico, panel discussion with Laura Paskus, Albuquerque Journal, Karen Takai, Fire Information Officer, Christina Allday-Bondy, NM Healthy Soils Working Group, Christian Pereira, EMHS Debate Team and moderated by Claudia Risner, PhD. Los Vecinos Community Center, 478 1/2 NM-333, Tijeras
Sat, Aug 24, 1:00 – 4:00 pm: Community Solar NOW! information about current legislative initiatives and the next steps to bring solar power to our communities. Central/Unser Library, 8081 Central Avenue NW 87121
Also, Aug 24, 1:00 - 2:30 pm: Rocky Mountains Planned Parenthood’s The Rosé Resistance with Xochitl Torres-Small. 3222 Central Ave SE (exact Albuquerque location disclosed prior to event). Also, a VIP Luncheon from 12:00 - 1:00 pm for Champion and Rosé Sponsors only. For tickets and sponsorship info, click here.
Also, Aug 24, 4:00-6:00 pm: Reception to Re-Elect Cynthia Hall - Commissioner New Mexico Public Regulation Commission, District 1. 704 Solar Road, 87107
And, 6:00 - 8:30 pm: PDACNM Community Gathering PROGESSIVES IN THE PARK. North Domingo Baca Park, 7521 Carmel Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113. Let them know you’re coming, click here. For a flyer, click here.
And, last but not least, all day: Fracking Reality Tour in the Greater Chaco region led by Daniel Tso (see actions above to sign-up). To carpool, meet at 7am at the Counselor Chapter House off of Hwy 550.
Sun, Aug 25, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm: Electric Vehicle Car Show. O’Niell’s Pub parking lot
4310 Central Ave SE 87108. https://www.facebook.com/events/1154992324705002/
Mon, Aug 26, 11:30am - 1:15pm: ABQ City Council Candidate Forum | NAIOP Luncheon. Albuquerque Marriott - 2101 Louisiana Blvd NE 87110. Fee is $35, to register, click here.
Also, 5:30pm: US Representative Deb Haaland will sign the Indivisible Pledge. INH meeting, O’Niells Pub, Central at Washington in Nob Hill.
Sun, Aug 25, 2 – 4pm: Texas Voter Registration by Mail Party. Write personal letters to voters in Texas who will likely vote blue in the 2020 Election. Sally Davis’ House, 418 Vassar Dr NE, 87106.
Wed, Aug 28, 6:30 – 8:00 pm: How Will NM Courts Protect Our Democracy? Don Newton/Taylor Ranch Community Center, 4900 Kachina St. NW. Sponsored by West Side Democrats
Sat, Aug 31, 11am: Standing for Immigrant Justice – Fundraiser for Faith Coalition for Immigration Justice. With Allegra Love, Immigration Attorney and Director of Santa Fe Dreamers. For Tickets and Information, click here. Or, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tues. Sept 3, 6:30pm: Retake our Democracy Oust the DINOs strategy meeting. NMDP building in SF.
Sept 20-27: Save the Date - Global Climate Strike. Dates, location and times to be announced.
Fri, Sept, 20, times to be announced: ABQ Climate Student Strike.Planned for Civic Plaza, an envisioned street fair with interactive activities, theatre performances and music. Also, there will be a watch party for the MSNBC Presidential Climate forum both Sept 19 and 20.
Sun, Sept. 22, Fracking Reality Tour in
Daniel Tso, 2nd date (see actions above to sign-up). To carpool, meet at 7am at the Counselor Chapter House off of Hwy 550.
Tues, Nov. 5, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m: Albuquerque City Election Day (October 8 – Absentee ballots mailed, October 19 – Early Voting Begins (voting locations coming soon)
Our speakers at next Monday’s meeting, Aug 12, will be US House Representative Ben Ray Lujan regarding his run to replace US Senator Tom Udall’s seat.
Weekly actions checklist:
___ Gov Lujan-Grisham and tell her to stand up for conservation in New Mexico
___ Think about joining the Oust the DINOs campaign
___ Tell Moscow Mitch to bring gun safety legislation to the Senate floor
___ Boycott Trump and Fox news supporters
___ Tell our MoCs no to NAFTA 2, yes to Open and Responsive Government Act
___ Come to Monday’s meeting
Melora – INH Outreach Coordinator
no. 21_May 27 - June 3 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 19_May 20-27, 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 18_May 13-20, 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 22_June 6-12 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 23_June 17-23 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 24_June 24-July 1 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 25_July 1-7 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 26_July 8-12 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 27_July 15-21 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 28_July 22-28 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 29_July 29-Aug 4 , 2019 (pdf)Download
no. 30_Aug 5-11, 2019 (pdf)Download